Borgen-Yorgen Swedish Butter Cookies

Whenever I need a break from my traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe, I think of our variation on a Swedish butter cookie -- which originally made me think of the Swedish chef from the Muppets, whose Swedish gibberish inspired the name for this cookie. Mine usually turn out OK, but my partner's somehow just melt in your mouth and he won't tell me why.

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Earth Balance butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
soy milk
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped hazlenuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease 2 baking sheets. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and two sugars. Beat in the vanilla extract. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients, adding just enough soy milk (if necessary) to bring the mixture together as a dough. By hand, fold in the chooclate chips and nuts. Drop by spoonfuls 1-1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes until lightly colored. Transfer to wire racks to cool.

No comments: