Pickled Ginger

Once upon a time, I wanted to make pickled ginger, probably to serve with some vegan sushi recipe. I searched for recipes and what I found, easily enough made with ingredients on hand, was less an accompaniment to sushi and more a way to keep ginger root available long-term without it shriveling up in my fridge. Because I tend to want to use ginger on a whim, this makes it all very convenient -- and I'll save the true pickled ginger for another day. (No picture for this recipe because, really, it isn't much to look at.) Here's my variation from Whats Cooking America (note: the second recipe they offer may indeed be a closer match to the sushi accompaniment variety; anyone?):

2 large ginger roots (or however much you have, really)
1 cup rice vinegar
5 to 7 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Peel the ginger root by scraping with a spoon. Cut the ginger into medium-sized pieces (such as you would use in a recipe and, of course, would fit in your canning jar) and salt it. Leave the ginger in a bowl for 30 minutes; then rinse and put in your canning jar. Mix rice vinegar and sugar in a pan and bring to a boil. Pour the hot mixture of vinegar and sugar on the ginger. Cool, then cover with a lid and place in the refrigerator.

The recipe goes on to say that in a week, the ginger change its color to light pink. I have not had this happen; it has always stayed its original sort of golden color. But it's great to have on hand for quick stir-frys and such.

No comments: