Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberry season is way too short. Sometimes I cheat and buy them out of season, but nothing really compares to local, organic strawberries. Sure, they're no California models, but I've always believed it's what's inside that counts, and local strawberries are always in great taste. I love to serve them up with fresh shortcake doused in cream (my hazelnut creamer works well), a whipped cream or ice cream -- all vegan versions, of course. I adapted this shortcake recipe from an oldie-but-goodie (for what you can veganize): The Pillsbury Cookbook: The All-Purpose Companion for Today's Cook (circa 1989), which fell into my hands some 12 years ago by a former roomate who probably never ever cracked open its covers. Here's my variation, where I bake individual shortcakes in a muffin tin:

2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Earth Balance butter, cold
3/4 cup soy milk, more or less

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a 6-muffin tin with cupcake wrappers. In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter. Add the soy milk and mix just to blend, adding just a tiny bit more soy milk if needed, to make everything stick together. Fill each cupcake wrapper and bake for about 20-25 minutes.

No comments: