Watermelon Gazpacho

I was looking for something different to take to a potluck picnic, and the idea of a watermelon gazpacho caught my fancy. This recipe, which is a veganized adaptation from Tyler Florence's Tyler's Ultimate cookbook, seems a little lighter and more refreshing. In fact, I wonder how it would taste with just a hint of mint and a vegan creme fraiche instead of the feta cheese that he originally called for? (I did substitute my "blue cheese" but my partner and I agreed that it wasn't a good match.)

3 cups roughly chopped tomatoes
3 cups roughly chopped watermelon (seeded)
1 roughly chopped serrano chile
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
2 tablespoons red onion, minced
freshly ground salt
freshly ground black pepper

In a blender, puree the tomatoes, watermelon and chile. Add olive oil and red wine vinegar; pulse to blend. Fold in the remaining ingredients and chill. Serve in small glasses, shot glasses, or even champagne flutes.

No comments: