Breakfast Hash

I know this combination of ingredients was inspired by one of my cookbooks, but I no longer consult a recipe and I'm sure it has devolved enough into my own version. It's a great way to clean out the fridge, too, since you can pretty much toss in whatever—which also means that it goes a long way. Here's today's variation:

2-3 tablespoons oil
1/2 pound soy sausage
2 potatoes, diced
1/2 onion, chopped roughly
2 stalks celery, chopped roughly
freshly ground salt
freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
fresh herbs (here I used about 5-6 leaves of sage from my garden, but parsley or rosemary would be nice, too)

Heat oil in saute pan. Crumble soy sausage into pan and begin browning over medium-high heat. About half-way through, add potatoes and toss. After a few more minutes, add onion and celery. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Continue to cook until golden brown and tender. Drizzle in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Mix well. Plate and garnish with fresh herbs.

Variations are as wide open as your refrigerator door: bell peppers, garlic, fakin' bacon, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.

No comments: