Sushi de Calabacín (Zucchini Sushi)

I stumbled upon this recipe at CreatiVegan.net and was inspired to give it a whirl. Here's my twist:

1/2 red pepper, chopped finely
2 cups sticky rice, cooked
1 zucchini
dipping sauce(s) (I used Peanut Dipping Sauce)

Wash zucchini and cut into long thin flat slices. At one end of a slice of zucchini, place a portion of the red pepper. Cover the rest of the slice with a portion of the rice. Roll up (fasten with toothpick, etc., if necessary). Serve with dipping sauce(s).

OK, here's what really happened: I used regular big-box Minute Rice when I should have used a true sticky rice. I also had a thin zucchini, so the slices were pretty narrow. If I ever should make this again, I would definitely opt for a very sticky rice -- even one that is sweet, paired with maybe a spicy/sweet mango sauce. Maybe a wider zucchini. And maybe smaller bites or some sort of fastener. I think this is a good idea in concept, but execution leaves something to be desired.

No comments: